Saturday, July 14, 2012

Golfing on Jeju Island (by David Shelton) - Part 3

Golf in Korea is a challenge to say the least... all of you golfers out there will appreciate this. 

When trying to golf in Korea you have to come prepared with a group. It is not possible to go golfing as a solo or a walk-on at most courses. Even public courses, of which there are very few, you must go with others. The courses won't let you on even if there is room to go. 

I found this out the first day I tried to go golf in Jeju. I had a wonderful breakfast at our resort buffet then went to walk on to the course as my hotel said shouldn't be a problem. The course thought otherwise! They would not let me play solo, or even join another group. I went back to my hotel balcony and read a book while watching the part of the course I could see. It was at least 30 min and up to an hour between seeing groups on the course! Ridiculous!!

I did end up playing at a course called Castlex. I only got in nine holes since that was the public part of the course. It was very beautiful and fun. I played with a local who knew the course and fortunately some English. I had a fun time. 

 
 The amazing buffet breakfast.

 The course.



 These  were the yardage markers. Two bands is 100 meters. 
Yes, the courses here are all in meters. I have to add 10% to each distance to find yards.

The entrance to the course. They have 27 holes, but only 9 are public. 
When they say public, it more closely means you can walk onto the course.If you have a group, you can play most of the 'private' courses, you just pay a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment